Environmental Management System
In 2012, Garanti Bank established an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) in order to manage its direct and indirect environmental impacts in an effective and systematic way. To ensure compliance with the EMS requirements in all stages of its banking activities, Garanti Bank also began providing training to its employees. These training sessions also aim to keep the Bank’s employees informed of the latest legal developments, voluntary initiatives and customer feedback regarding the environmental and social issues. The EMS is managed by the Sustainability Team, in collaboration with the Efficiency Team within the Bank’s Construction and Estate Department, under the leadership provided by the Sustainability Committee.
Garanti Bank’s Handbook demonstrates how it fulfils the standards set out in ISO 14001 and its related strategies, policies and procedures that include:
- Corrective and Preventive Plans Procedure;
- Document and Data Control Procedure;
- Emergency Environmental Impact Procedure;
- EMS Internal Audit Procedure;
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment and Loan Procedure;
- Procedure to Determine and Keep Track of Environment-Related Legal Requirements and Other Requirements;
- Waste Control Procedure;
- Corrective Actions Procedure;
- EMS Review and Sustainability Procedure;
- EMS Corporate Risk Management Procedure and
- EMS Management of Change Procedure
Following its ISO 14001 accreditation in 2012, the Bank started to determine targets for energy consumption and other environmental impacts in order to improve its environmental performance in 2012.
By the end of 2017, Garanti maintained its 100% coverage for ISO14001 certification at all service points, following the audits conducted by an independent consultant. As a result, Garanti is still the first and only bank that operates an EMS in such a large area and context in Turkey.